946gz, x3000 on gentoo -- no drm/dri and xv

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:12:37 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 00:48 +0200, sAwAr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on list so I would like to say hello.
>
> I've decided to subscribe and ask for help with my new hardware.
> I have x3000 on 946gz chipset. I'm using 2.6.17 gentoo-kernel. I've tryed
> using drivers from kernel and from xf86-video-i810-1.6.5 package, mesa 1.6.5.
> Those the newest drivers availble for my system. I can't get drm/dri working
> on it.
> Log says something like this
> "agpgart no souch file or device, or you don't have enough memory".
> The whole log I wil be able to post tomorrow if it is nessesery.

2.6.17 does not have PCI IDs for a lot of the new Intel stuff. You
should either upgrade to 2.6.18 or download the tarballs from Intel's
Linux Graphics site[1] and use those.

Personally, I would recommend Mesa CVS for the i965 DRI driver, it's
seen a few improvements since the code drop and Compiz almost (!)
works--there are just black borders instead of alpha blended borders. :(

> Moreower glxgears shows 1020 fps in small window. I don't have xv support in X
> and this is the worst thing for me. I don't play games but now I can't watch
> movies on full screen.

Xv is done by OpenGL textures on i915 and newer. So once DRI starts
working you should get Xv.

[1] http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/