i810 driver with i830 chipset - No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth.

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 04:46:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 00:11 -0400, devicenull wrote:
> Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 2600, which uses the i830 chipset.  I've been
> trying to get X to start, but I keep getting the same error.
>
> The error is: "I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth".
>
> By now, I've tried every resolution and color depth supported by the
> driver.  I've found the refresh rate/resolution for my LCD from Dell
> (1024x768 @60Hz)
>
> So, I've got the following information:
> xorg.conf : http://www.devicenull.org/xorg.conf
> Xorg.0.log : http://www.devicenull.org/Xorg.0.log
> lspci output: http://www.devicenull.org/lspci.log
>
> 2.6 kernel, Xorg 7.0.0, Debian etch.

Unfortunately you have a pretty broken video BIOS.

First of all - check to see if there's a BIOS upgrade. If not, then you
can try the option...

Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE,LFP"

to see if that helps.

If not, then you'd be better off using the modesetting branch of the git
repository for the intel driver.

Alan.