i810 driver with i830 chipset - No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth.

devicenull dn at devicenull.org
Tue Oct 3 20:57:28 PDT 2006

Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 00:11 -0400, devicenull wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 2600, which uses the i830 chipset.  I've been
>> trying to get X to start, but I keep getting the same error.
>>
>> The error is: "I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth".
>>
>> By now, I've tried every resolution and color depth supported by the
>> driver.  I've found the refresh rate/resolution for my LCD from Dell
>> (1024x768 @60Hz)
>>
>> So, I've got the following information:
>> xorg.conf : http://www.devicenull.org/xorg.conf
>> Xorg.0.log : http://www.devicenull.org/Xorg.0.log
>> lspci output: http://www.devicenull.org/lspci.log
>>
>> 2.6 kernel, Xorg 7.0.0, Debian etch.
>>

> Unfortunately you have a pretty broken video BIOS.
>
> First of all - check to see if there's a BIOS upgrade. If not, then you
> can try the option...
>
> Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE,LFP"
>
> to see if that helps.
>
> If not, then you'd be better off using the modesetting branch of the git
> repository for the intel driver.
>
> Alan.

Okay, I was just able to get it to compile.  I now face the problem of
it failing to load two modules, sli164 and ch7xxx.  I have been unable
to determine if these are kernel modules or X modules.
Doing a "make install" of the entire package resulted in a
"ch7xxx_module.lo" being copied to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers.  This
is apparently nothing more then a config file for libtool, so I am
unsure why it is being treated like an object file.
I tried "modprobe sli164" and "modprobe ch7xxx", which resulted in
module not found errors.

It seems to have been a sucessfull compile (no errors), so I'm not sure
why I can't install it correctly.  The new xorg logfile is at

http://www.devicenull.org/Xorg.0.log , and the old one at http://www.devicenull.org/Xorg.0.log.old