git hilarity (was: Re: server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master)

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 10 04:03:49 PDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:39:58 +0300
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> While we're here, a couple of things I'd like to know:
>   * What's the syntax for 'diff remote branch foo to mine'?  I was
>     trying to diff origin:input-hotplug to .:input-hotplug the other
>     day, and couldn't work out how.  ('gitk' is not the answer I'm
>     looking for here.)

Git doesn't support this directly.  You're expected to fetch the
remote branch into your repository and then diff against it like
any other.

>   * I thought git push <remote> only pushed branches marked with Push in
>     .git/remotes/<remote>, such that Push x:y will push local branch x
>     to remote branch y when git push <remote> is invoked.  Is this
>     correct?

Yes, that's true.  However, if you don't have a Push entry in the given
remotes file, then _all_ local branches which are also found on the remote
(ie. remote has a branch with same name) will be pushed.

Sean