git hilarity (was: Re: server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master)

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 10 04:26:08 PDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:14:51 +0300
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Wow, that sucks.  Is there any particular reason?  I just want to see
> what will happen if I type 'git push origin input-hotplug'.

Well in most cases you're pushing to a repository that you're usually
keeping up to date with anyway.  So in practice it's not usually a
problem.  The upside is that once you have the remote branch you can
use all the features of git..  diff, log, gitk etc..

If you're still not convinced, then it wouldn't be too hard to write
a script that did the fetch, diff, and then deleted the branch
for you.

This question might be worth reasking on the Git list because you'll
get an answer from one of the Gurus and may inspire a documentation
addition too.

Sean