git hilarity (was: Re: server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master)

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 10 04:49:48 PDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:14:51 +0300
Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Wow, that sucks.  Is there any particular reason?  I just want to see
> what will happen if I type 'git push origin input-hotplug'.

Incidentally, there is another way to accomplish what you're trying to do.
That is, to pull the remote branch into yours (without creating a new temp
branch).

That means that if there happen to be merge conflicts, you can resolve
them and commit the resolution locally.  Then you can do commands like:

  $ git diff ORIG_HEAD..

To see what was pulled in from the remote branch.  When you're happy
you can do your push.  If on the other hand you decide you don't want
to push it, and you want to undo the merge you can:

  $ git reset --hard ORIG_HEAD

Sean