nv driver status

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 19 21:13:33 PDT 2006

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 18 octobre 2006 12:44, Alexander E. Patrakov a écrit :
>
>>> Change the driver from "nv" to "vesa", because "nv" doesn't support DVI.
>> However, the changelog does mention DVI, so is this true now?
>
> nv is driving the first DVI output fine
>
>> Also, is there any case when one really must install the nvidia driver
>> for 2D-only reasons not involving Xvideo?
>
> however nv can't drive the second DVI output you find on almost every new
> nvidia card nowadays.

Thanks for your detailed answer. Let me see if I understand correctly that the following three cases always work:

1) The card has one VGA and one DVI output. The monitor is connected via DVI.
2) The card has two DVI outputs. The monitor is connected to the first one.
3) A laptop has its internal LCD and an external connector. The internal LCD is used.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov