Building the X.org 7.1.1 server against Mesa CVS

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Fri Oct 20 22:54:50 PDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> I am pursuing the angle that my compositor troubles[0] are caused by my
> X server not being built against Mesa CVS, which is installed on my
> machine. To that end I'm trying to recompile xorg-server 1.1.1 against a
> Mesa CVS tree. It fails:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-mesa-source=../mesa-6.5.2.cvs20061020
> [snip]
> Checking that the source files exist for mesa module ...
> error:   /home/andrew/src/mesa-6.5.2.cvs20061020/src/mesa/shader/slang/
>   library/slang_version_syn.h
> not found
> configure: error: Failed to link Mesa source tree.  Please specify a proper
> path to Mesa sources, or disable GLX.

Yeah, slang_version_syn.h disappeared in Mesa 6.5.1.  I ended up building
my R7.1 server against Mesa 6.5 sources and using 6.5.1 libraries.  Seems
to work okay, but I have a Radeon rv370 card, so my expectations aren't
super high.

If it's just a configuration hitch (i.e. the server sources don't directly
include this header), something silly like "touch mesa/shader/slang/
library/slang_version_syn.h" might be sufficient.

As has been mentioned previously, specifying an absolute path to the Mesa
sources is also probably a good idea.