Building the X.org 7.1.1 server against Mesa CVS

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 12:52:55 PDT 2006

(This is fast becoming off topic for this list but for now I'll continue here)

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> I am pursuing the angle that my compositor troubles[0] are caused by my
> X server not being built against Mesa CVS, which is installed on my
> machine. To that end I'm trying to recompile xorg-server 1.1.1 against a
> Mesa CVS tree. It fails:

I finally was able to compile and run Mesa CVS and xserver git (I was told the
black bars issue was an X server issue and I should upgrade it). Now I am
hitting up against the "white screen issue" wherein if you start one of these
buggers (beryl or compiz) the screen turns entirely white. The cursor is
still visible and reacts to the various windows that are still "there" but
you can't see anything.

The most maddening part of this problem is not the problem itself but rather
that I cannot find a consistent explanation, much less a solution, to it.
Google is little to no help, as the common advice to "recompile your nVidia
drivers" is nonsensical in this context. Likewise, lots of web forum posts
offer conflicting "explanations" (if you could call it that) and advice that
is of no help to me (e.g. relates to Xgl or something)

I did futz around with the glproto module a bit, but no matter what I used:
1.4.8 from Debian packages, 1.4.7 from X.Org FTP tarballs, or git HEAD, the
result was the same. Each time I changed that module I reran 'make' on Mesa
and xserver and it did recompile some bits.

Could some 3D expert explain why this might happen and possibly what I can do
to rectify it? My curiosity has been piqued, mainly because there seems to be
no explanation as to why this is happening, just lots of "here's how I fixed
it" from random web forum doofuses.

This happens to me on two machines: an IBM Thinkpad R51 with an i855GM
graphics processor, and an Intel Desktop Board DG965RY with an i965.

Thank you for all the replies I have received so far and especially for
putting up with my nonsense. :)

--
Andrew Barr