[i810] Laptop/Xinerama: Using an external display as primary and the internal LCD as secondary

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 21:44:44 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Jeremy Volkman <jvolkman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a dual-head environment so that my 20" external
> display is the primary (Screen 1), and the internal laptop LCD is the
> secondary (Screen 2).  After a couple hours, I stumbled upon the
> FlipPrimary device option which is described as:
>
> Option "FlipPrimary" "boolean"
>     When using a dual pipe system, it may be preferable to switch the
> primary screen to the alternate pipe to display on the other monitor
> connection. NOTE: Using this option may cause text mode to be restored
> incorrectly, and thus should be used with caution. Default: disabled.
>
> Unfortunately, after enabling this, I get "Option 'FlipPrimary' is not
> used" in my Xorg.0.log.
>
> Is there a way to use FlipPrimary, or any other way do have the
> external display be the primary monitor in a dual-head setup?

I'm not familar the FlipPrimary option.  It could be that your version
of the driver is too old.  Regardless, you should be able to swap the
orientation of the crtcs by setting the orientation of your screens in
the serverlayout section of your config (xinerama/screen based
dualhead) or with the CRT2Position option (mergedfb).

e.g. for xinerama:
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen	    1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
vs.
        Screen      0  "Screen1" 0 0
	Screen	    1 "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1"

or mergedfb:
	Option "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
vs.
	Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"