[i810] Laptop/Xinerama: Using an external display as primary and the internal LCD as secondary

Jeremy Volkman jvolkman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 21:25:34 PDT 2006

I'm trying to setup a dual-head environment so that my 20" external
display is the primary (Screen 1), and the internal laptop LCD is the
secondary (Screen 2).  After a couple hours, I stumbled upon the
FlipPrimary device option which is described as:

Option "FlipPrimary" "boolean"
    When using a dual pipe system, it may be preferable to switch the
primary screen to the alternate pipe to display on the other monitor
connection. NOTE: Using this option may cause text mode to be restored
incorrectly, and thus should be used with caution. Default: disabled.

Unfortunately, after enabling this, I get "Option 'FlipPrimary' is not
used" in my Xorg.0.log.

Is there a way to use FlipPrimary, or any other way do have the
external display be the primary monitor in a dual-head setup?

Thanks,
Jeremy Volkman