impossible to remap keys on japanese keyboard

murdoch gabbay bellissimogiorno at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:52:55 PDT 2006

Dear Daniel and Troy,

Thanks for your advice.

Troy wrote

> To add the Hiragana_Katakana key, use:
> xmodmap -e 'add Shift = Hiragana_Katakana'

I confirm that I tried this, and as for Troy this did not work, though
xmodmap -e 'add Shift = Henkan'
did --- that is if I hold down Henkan and press c I get uppercase C,
but not if I hold down Hiragana_Katakana.

> Probably not a great forum for xmodmap-related questions ... you're
> probably better off altering the XKB map to change the key to shift.  I
> believe Hiragana_Katanana triggers special cases in input methods.

I didn't know about the xkb mailing list and for further queries I'll
write to them.  However David could you just clarify that the "XKB
map" means the files

/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/jp
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us

?