[Members] Re: Member/Board Interactivity

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Oct 24 06:23:41 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 09:13:31AM -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	Would you set up a sub/committee system with mixed board/member
> membership, or an alternative? Or would you have the board do a
> different planning process to decide how to structure for this
> interaction?

Setting up subcommittees for the sake of setting up subcommittees?  No.

If it would be valuable, then yes.  But in general, I think we can do a
much better job by realising that the board is not the only entity on
the planet which can/should perform given tasks, and delegate away what
is not sensible to keep on the board (I strongly agree with Egbert on
this point).

But if there are any particular (sub)committees that can be established,
I'm all ears.

We can't fix our board without a pretty big cultural change.  Having
more people talk at the board won't achieve that on its own.

Cheers,
Daniel