[Members] Re: Will there be an X at FOSDEM2007?

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sun Oct 29 20:53:03 PST 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 08:13:22PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 02:03 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>
> > > I can promise funding if X.org is unable to do so at this point.
> > > Anything to ensure that I get to attend FOSDEM, eat mussels, drink beer
> > > and shop for chocolate.
> >
> > Why do i get the feeling that the order of importance of that list is the
> > actual inverse of the ordering in that sentence? How many kilos did you
> > "smuggle" out again last year?
>
> Hey, I declared the 10kg on my customs form. I'll be sure to have the
> extra bag packed inside my suitcase for the trip home again this year.
>
> And, last year the mussel season was nearly over, so the quality was a
> bit lower than in years past. I'm not sure I managed 10kg of beer though
> (not for lack of trying though), so I think your overall ordering is
> probably correct.

:)

> > This isn't about funding, the devroom itself at FOSDEM is completely
> > free, we just need to show up in reasonable numbers. If FOSDEM were
> > officially sanctioned by the board, then sufficient attendance would be
> > almost certain.
>
> I'm not sure we need any board sanction; we just need to get people
> signed up. And, I'd say that if we can get 7 people signed up in a
> couple of hours, we'll surely end up with another 5 or 6 before the
> event starts.
>
> --
> keith.packard at intel.com
Yeah, the quick responses now, on a sunday evening nonetheless, make me
very optimistic. But i would still like to see a few more hands up
before i give the FOSDEM people the definitive yes. I still have a few
days left.

I don't expect the number of responses received in the following days to
exceed a dozen (x1.5 is probably the final headcount?), so I don't think
that we will require a bigger DevRoom. Afaik, last year only the XGL
talk had the room "packed". But in case we do need a bigger room, i
better start begging for one ASAP.

Luc Verhaegen.