Please help cross compile

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Oct 30 07:42:18 PST 2006

Hi,

On Monday 30 October 2006 15:47, Takács Áron wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on an ARM embedded system (PXA270-based). Now I am using
> Microwindows on it, but I want to switch to X (kdrive). Since I don't
> know X I need some help for cross compiling. I have googled a lot but I
> haven't found any recent description. So please provide me some
> information (or links to them) about what I have to do to be able to run
> my application on top of X!

Cross compiling the auto* based packages can be a bit tricky. The Open (GPL)
T2 System Development Environemnt can automate all this from boostrapping a
fresh GCC cross compiler (including C++!!!) to building modular X11R7:
http://www.t2-project.org/

> I am also very confused about Xorg and Xserver. What is the difference
> between them? Which one schould I choose?

Well, Xserver just names the actual server where Xorg refers to a whole
organisation and might mean the whole wide set of protocol headers, libraries
and actual X server and driver implementations. The xserver package as it
contains the kdrive based server usually used in embedded environments.

Yours,

--
  René Rebe - ExactCODE - Berlin (Europe / Germany)
  +49 (0)30 / 255 897 45