Virge and TV-out

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 11:14:23 PST 2006

On 10/31/06, Adam Sulmicki <adam at cfar.umd.edu> wrote:

> >>          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/GX2 (rev 06)
>
> > Linux vga console doesn't support any outputs specfically at all.  It
> > just relies on what the bios set up.  The s3virge X driver doesn't
> > support TV-out.  You would need to hack the driver to add tv-out
> > support directly, or hack the driver to use the bios calls needed to
> > enable TV-out.
>
> That's not good. Are there at least datashets for 86C357 lying around?

There are virge databooks flaoting around, however, I don't recall if
the virge had integrated tv-out or not.  I suspect it used an external
tv-encoder.  If so you'd have to figure out what chip was used and how
it was controlled.  You should be able to identify the tv-encoder on
the board itself.  Assuming the bios interface hasn't changed, you may
be able to hack the s3switch utility for savages to work on the virge.

Alex