Virge and TV-out

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Tue Oct 31 12:16:37 PST 2006

> There are virge databooks flaoting around, however, I don't recall if
> the virge had integrated tv-out or not.  I suspect it used an external
> tv-encoder.  If so you'd have to figure out what chip was used and how
> it was controlled.  You should be able to identify the tv-encoder on
> the board itself.  Assuming the bios interface hasn't changed, you may
> be able to hack the s3switch utility for savages to work on the virge.

Well, the s3switch more or less works (or at least does not seems to be
outright broken) . That is doing "s3switch tv pal" show screen resetnig
and starting in some other mode. Starting X after that is only slightly
less confused, but still not what it ought to be.

# s3switch
Devices attached:  CRT TV
Devices active:   none

Current TV format is NTSC