confusion about syntax of application specific resources

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 31 13:06:13 PST 2006

Peter J. Bismuti wrote:

> Can't set resources correctly from either .Xdefaults file or an application
> specific file $HOME/.app-defaults/AppName.

Note that the default path for user resource files is
$HOME/app-defaults (without a leading dot). This can be overridden via
$XUSERFILESEARCHPATH or $XAPPLRESDIR.

> Oh ya, I forgot the fallback resource string:
>
> static String FallbackResources[] = {
>  "*mainMenu.geometry: 180x820+0+0",
>  "*SectionWindow.x: 200",
>  "*SectionWindow.y: 20",
>
> Should that (or can it) read like this:
>
> static String FallbackResources[] = {
>  "AppName*mainMenu.geometry: 180x820+0+0",
>  "AppName*SectionWindow.x: 200",
>  "AppName*SectionWindow.y: 20",

It can; whether or not it should is a different matter.

A specification which begins with a class, a name or '?' will take
precedence over one which begins with '*'. In general, fallback
resources and the system-wide app-defaults file should avoid using
specifications which begin with a name or class, in order to make it
easier for the user to override them.