Missing Key Syms

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Oct 31 09:21:06 PST 2006

Hi!

I am currently looking for a proper solution for making all kind of
hotkeys work. I originally started with the additional keys on laptops
but soon realized that the so called "internet keyboards" are more or
less the same.

On X11 I'd like to map all these keys to a fixed set of key syms but I
soon realized that several key syms are simply not there. I then had a
look at the Linux console and realized that Linux supports even more
keys that don't have a matching X11 key sym.

We are talking about 30 (keys found on quite "normal" keyboards) up to
nearly 100 keysyms (including FN + Fx and some more FN + X combinations,
multimedia stuff, and keys found on TV/HiFi remote controls)

So my question: Is there any chance to get all or at least the most
urgent keys supported in x.org and what would be needed to get them
supported?

The Linux keycodes in question are

102ND, AB, ALTERASE, ANGLE, ARCHIVE, AUDIO, AUX, BASSBOOST, BATTERY,
BLUE, CHANNEL, CHANNELDOWN, CHANNELUP, CHAT, CLOSECD, CONNECT,
CYCLEWINDOWS, DEL_EOL, DEL_EOS, DELETEFILE, DEL_LINE, DIGITS, DIRECTION,
DIRECTORY, DVD, EPG, FASTFORWARD, FILE, FIRST, FN, FN_B, FN_D, FN_E,
FN_ESC, FN_F, FN_F1, FN_F10, FN_F11, FN_F12, FN_F2, FN_F3, FN_F4, FN_F5,
FN_F6, FN_F7, FN_F8, FN_F9, FN_S, GREEN, INFO, INS_LINE, ISO,
KBDILLUMDOWN, KBDILLUMTOGGLE, KBDILLUMUP, KEYBOARD, LANGUAGE, LAST,
LIST, MACRO, MAX, MHP, MODE, OK, PC, PLAYER, POWER2, PREVIOUS, PVR,
RADIO, RED, RESTART, RO, SAT, SAT2, SCREEN, SCROLLDOWN, SCROLLUP,
SHUFFLE, SPORT, SUBTITLE, TAPE, TEEN, TEXT, TIME, TITLE, TUNER, TV, TV2,
TWEN, VCR, VCR2, YELLOW, ZOOM

They are taken from <linux/input.h>. These are the ones I did not find a
matching X11 key sym for (looking in <X11/keysymdef.h> and
/usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB) are left out.

There might be even some more key syms missing like Zoom_Out, Zoom_In,
Maximize Window, Presentation, BlueTooth on/off, WLAN on/off, div.
VideoOutput options, ...

Florian Festi