Intel GMA 900 & XVideo Accelleration (i810 drivers)

Eamon Walsh ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Sep 12 15:20:37 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 21:15 -0400, Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 13:52 -0700, galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:

[snip]

> > Other than that, the only VLC-related errors in that log are like this:
> > audit(1157882914.686:23): avc: granted {execmem} for pid=2930
> > comm="vlc" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> > tcontext=user=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
> >
> > Occasionally, a similar line will occur that is like that but reads
> > {execstack} instead of {execmem}.
>
> Ah hah.
>
> This is SELinux output. If I were you, I'd turn it off. When I used
> Fedora Core I always did. Red Hat provides a GUI utility to do this but
> you can also pass a boot parameter, the exact syntax of which escapes me
> at the moment.
>
> I'm willing to bet SELinux is your problem, turn that off and this
> should go away.

An SELinux message that contains "avc: granted {something}" is just a
notification, not an error or denial (a denial would say "denied").  In
this case, memory was mmap'ed with both write and execute permission and
SELinux is set up to log it.  See:

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/selinux-mem.html

This type of memory usage is, FWIW, common in the X/graphics area.  So
the "granted" messages may appear from time to time; there's no need to
be alarmed by them.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency