Problem starting X-Windows (fonts)

Alan James Caruana ajcaruana at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 01:18:59 PDT 2006

I have successfully compiled Xwin using MS VS2003, but when I come to
run, it gives an error with the fonts.

I am trying to start Xwin with the following command:

"Xwin -ac -br -notrayicon -nowinkill -lesspointer -engine 1 -screen 0
800x600 at 1 -swcursor -internalwm"

The error reads as follows:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

The log file is useless because it left it empty.  I have the fonts
installed in a directory, and I am making the function
SetDefaultFontPath() set the correct directory as a default path.  I
checked the "fonts.dir" and "fonts.alias" files, and there is a font
alias called "fixed" which should point to a file that does exist in
that directory.

How do i make Xwin load its fonts and (hopefully) eventually start up??

Regards
Alan Caruana