Constraining cursor to RandR crtcs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Apr 2 01:41:00 PDT 2007

Le Lun 2 avril 2007 10:05, Xavier Bestel a écrit :
> On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 19:33 -0700, Andy Ritger wrote:
>> If the X
>> screen is just a rectangle of pixels, shouldn't the cursor be able to
>> move anywhere within that rectangle?
>>
>> Maybe clamping cursor(s) to CRTCs should be left up to the window
>> manager?
>
> How about the reverse ? By default, clamp the cursor in the visible
> regions, and when the "mouse" tries to go past a border, fire an event
> and ask (the WM or anyone) what to do (i.e. go to another island, or do
> a nice 3D cube move, or start panning, or start "exposé" ...).
>
> Maybe if there's no one listening to the events have a set of default
> workable policies, to be able to move the focus to an xterm when the WM
> has died, or is border-event-unaware.

What would be nice for a purely user POW is some visual hint the cursor is
in Terra Incognita (for example an arrow on the side closer to the cursor
with cursor distance). Clamping and jumping is very disorienting, I don't
think users mind the cursor being out of the displays as long as they have
some hint where it is (without needing to wiggle it to find it back, which
won't work anyway for complex setups)

Thinking about more... actually you can lose the cursor even within the
display, some keyboard shortcut to point it out (big crosshairs) would be
nice

--
Nicolas Mailhot