*SUCCESS* with Modular Build - Awesome Display - Couple of Q's

Tue Apr 10 19:18:01 PDT 2007

On 11/04/2007, at 11:17 , david rankin wrote:
>    It looks like startx is using the wrong/old kernel module. While
> X is started with -- /tmp/modular/bin/Xorg, it is still reading
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I have modified the file to point to /tmp/
> modular/lib/X11/fonts, but for some reason it is still pulling bits
> and pieces from the original X install. So how do I tell X to start
> and use the new i915 kernel module, more to the point, where is the
> new module I need to load in the /tmp/modular tree???

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is sort of hardcoded, override it with the -config
option. (see man Xorg). otherwise look at the top-level configure.ac
file to change it.
make sure your Section "files" has a ModulePath entry to /tmp/modular/
lib/xorg/modules/{drivers|fonts|input} etc.
remove all other module paths that point to other locations such as /
usr.
your driver is probably in /tmp/modular/lib/xorg/modules/drivers, if
you're talking about the X driver.

>    (2) Second question, How do I make my newly built /tmp/modular
> install my permanent install. Do I just recompile everthing with
> build.sh --prefix=/usr or can I just move the pieces over to /usr??
> I am not that confortable with where all the pieces live to do it
> that way, but if that is how you do it, I'm up for learning how.

you need to rebuild. just moving won't work.

Cheers,
   Peter

--
Multi-Pointer X Server