experiences with dual-dvi on ATI Radeon cards / NV-cards

S.Çağlar Onur caglar at pardus.org.tr
Thu Apr 12 16:40:05 PDT 2007

12 Nis 2007 Per tarihinde, Martin Schuhmacher şunları yazmıştı:
> at the moment I'm using a Matrox G550 on PCIe Card.
> Its not that good on 2D. It seems, the closed driver is ugly.
>
> So, a new Card is to come... I have the choice between ATI and
> NVidia. At the moment i saw the "ATI Radeon X1650 PRO".
> What about the ati driver performance on 2d ?
> Since the bad experiences with the matrox, is it known to work
> with x.org 7.0 on dual dvi ?

As an owner of new/shiny "ATI Radeon X1650 Pro" i _really_ suggest buy a
nvidia one if you must choose between them. Although nvidia still ships
closed source drivers for their cards believe me their support are much more
acceptable.

But beware, both nvidia/ati cards have closed source drivers so most probably
you won't get any answers to your questions in that list/kernel developers
didn't listen your problems while you're using these/lots of distributions
rejects your bug reports as a result you will alone with a piece of
hardware :)

But what i understand from your mail u will want to use that card for regular
daily use instead of playing 3d games etc.

So if 3d performance is not your primary decision argument maybe you _really_
should consider buying an intel one so you can use open source xorg intel
drivers/excellent support.

Cheers
--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar at pardus.org.tr>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!