Mini-Compiz on Miniature Linux/OpenGL (embedded 3D windowsystem)

ZeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 18 05:51:47 PDT 2007

actually, one of the reasons im trying to find anyone else that use scitech(or similiar), is to understand these drivers more myself, my understanding of writing drivers and workings of low-level implementation of OpenGL is close to zero.. im happy if i manage to compile the driver.. or anything else for that matter

this source, technology/drivers look interesting and i only know for sure that i do not understand it fully and have no idea of their potential... thats why im looking for anyone that knows better than me to maybe have a look at it, its Plug'n'Play, it clean and well documented, it has *3D stereo* support apperantly as well and again, some of those ati cards with specs out may be fully accelerated, maybe these Intel GPUs have full acceleration, who knows? i dont, i'll pay $50 if someone can answer that, in case no one wants to do it out of curiosity or other noble motive..

cheers,
zelko

Linux based OpenGL development system without X
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

On 4/18/07, Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serrano at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I downloaded a few files from
> >
> >    http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/devel/
> >
> > but it seems they don't release any source for the card drivers.
>
> this is the key part actually. if there is source code for real
> hardware acceleration then its worth it. thats a patent minefield
> though and thats the real reason nobody dared to even think of opening
> them up int the first place. the only option is invent new algorithms
> that is not covered by any existing patent.
>
> why should a hardware accelerated opengl driver be much bigger then a
> software only opengl?

In theory it doesn't have to be, but you normally requires software
fallbacks for limitations in the hw which means including a full sw
rasteriser, which means by default the hw renderer would be bigger
than the sw one.. also as each hw renderer would be different to
include a renderer for every GPU out there would increase the size
substantially..

Dave.