Xorg issue I can't stand...

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Apr 26 09:18:44 PDT 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 08:51, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Le mercredi 11 avril 2007 à 19:32 +0100, Paulo J. Matos a écrit :
> > On 4/11/07, Roland Scheidegger <sroland at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do you happen to know which message should I look for in the logs
> > regarding throttling? The only message regarding temperature which
> > shows up a lot in the logs is:
> > smartd[6571]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Usage Attribute: 194
> > Temperature_Celsius changed from 90 to 100
> >
> > It starts by saying 40 to 50, then 50 to 60... etc... :-) 100 is the
> > max I've seen!
>
> This is a disk complaining about temperature. Also I'm not sure of what
> a disk can handle, I know for sure that a pentium 3 can handle around
> 93°C maximum. So if your hdd shows 100,°C your CPU is probably near that
> temperature anyway hence its entering throttling mode.
>
> I suggest you open the case and clean up the dust :)

This is sort of off topic for this list.  But for most hard drives the max
operating temperature is between 55C and 60C.  Most people who monitor this
try to keep it below 45C to insure a safe operating margin.  If you are
really seeing HDD temps over 60C then this will have a major impact on the
longevity of your disk drive.  Clean out your case and make sure all of your
fans are working correctly.  You might also try moving your hard disk so that
is has more air flow around it's surfaces.