"Out of Range" at DVI

Oliver Schad schad at i6.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Aug 17 05:48:39 PDT 2007

Hi everybody,

We use the actual xorg-serveer v1.3 with the
built-in intel driver. We use the chipset i965 from intel and DVI output.

We have a problem with some TFT monitors whichs seems to output wrong auto
config parameters. The result is a message on the screen "Out of range".
So we have to override the auto detection of the
monitor capabilities.

We have a working modeline from a TFT monitor from the same manucfacturer,
same model but a later production date (if we start x with this model and
if we put the older monitor on the DVI output it works fine).

There is the option "NoDDC" in the x-config which turns off the auto
detection but if we use it together with the modeline from the working
monitor we get only resolutions lower than 1280x1024 - but the modeline
is for a resolution of 1600x1200.

Can somebody tell me, how we can persuade the intel driver to use a given
resolution with a given frequency? We use the following config:

--------------- xorg.conf --------------------------------------

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor_TFT-L"
        VendorName   "TFT"
        ModelName    "LARGE"
        Option       "DPMS"
        ModeLine     "1600x1200x60.0"  162.00  1600 1664 1856 2160  1200
1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync
        Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200x60.0"
EndSection

Section "Device"