xf86-video-ati randr-1.2 branch on PowerBook5,4 with RV350

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 23 00:30:56 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 18:55 +1200, Paul Collins wrote:

> I got some of the details wrong.  What actually happens is that when X
> starts I just get a blank screen.  When I kill the server or switch back
> to a VT, I see the corrupted console.
>
>         http://ondioline.org/~paul/corrupted-console.jpeg
>
> The three copies of the cursor you see on the bottomm line all blink
> together.  When I reinstall the original driver and start X again, all
> is well, both in X and on the console.

Interestingly, this looks like a long-standing bug that occurred when
killing the X server while in console - but that actually doesn't seem
to occur anymore here with randr-1.2...

> Using the driver as of commit 9d38c8aa1a7d6fb1af41ee8abdb4a95f94843538
> "radeon: cleanup some warnings", here are the logs from a good and a bad
> run, and my xorg.conf.

I don't see anything obviously wrong in the log file, and it works
(apart from the known HW cursor issue) on my pretty similar machine
(PowerBook5,8 - major difference being a 1440x960 panel instead of
1280x854).

So, our experience with the randr-1.2 stuff seems quite contradictory...