[xorg] Re: Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Dec 5 19:20:41 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 00:53 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> Well, I for instance don't see how people can be so fervently against
> having [xorg] in front of the subject.

Here's the rub:

1) There is an established way of dealing with mail from mailing lists.
It involves adding a header to the email, with a description of the
mailing list in THERE.

2) The technology already exists, and is very much in use, to perform
filtering based on mailing list headers.

3) I haven't heard *one* coherent argument why this is inadequate in any
way, or inferior to any other hackish, half-arsed 'solutions' such as
polluting the subject line ... other than of course, people who simply
insist on performing filtering manually.

> I'm sure that those who do not automatically filter are much more
> inconvenienced than those who do filter.

Oh, I'm 100% sure of this fact. But the point is, that it's their own
stupid fault for going off on some "I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF" crusade. If
you want to buck the trend, then yes, you'll make more work for
yourself. You don't buck the trend and then demand that everyone else
have to accommodate your newly created needs.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer
email: dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au