CentOS-5 Xorg hopelessly out of date for debugging?

KMF katoom at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 28 11:01:41 PST 2007

Howdy!

   I'm trying to debug what I presume to be an Xorg server windowing
problem on my CentOS-5.1 system. The OS is up-to-date but the Xorg
server version seems very behind:

# Xorg -version

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp x86_64 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux aprilia 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 #1 SMP Fri Nov
30 00:45:55 EST 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 10 November 2007
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.1.1-48.26.el5
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present

   I'd prefer to stay in synch with the CentOS distributions especially
since I expect that the problem lies with my hardware/software
configuration rather than with a bug in the xorg code itself. However,
is this version so hopelessly out of date that it's pointless to
proceed?

        Thanks,

--
    Kevin Flaherty