Acceleration of 2D operations for kdrive

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Feb 2 05:33:30 PST 2007

Hi,

On Friday 02 February 2007 14:23:25 David Hagood wrote:
> Rene Rebe wrote:
> > Yes, Kdrive was written to accelerate todays desktop and embedded device
> > graphics. Not lines and rectangles from the 80th.
> >
> > Yours,
> >

> This is a spectacularly short-sighted attitude. I work for a test
> equipment manufacturer, and we are using X on several of our
> instruments. We display multiple oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer
> displays, ideally updating at video rate (>60 Hz). Each trace on such a
> display consists of 500 to 1000 line segments, and there can be multiple
> traces per object - so we are running about 150 THOUSAND line segments a
> second.
>
> You can bet whatever body part you wish WE NEED ACCELERATED LINE DRAWS.
>
> We also do blits (graticules, waveform masks),  rectangle fills (meters
> and bar graphs).
>
> Just because YOU don't need these things does not mean they are not needed.

There no reason to freak out here. I just answered to the best of my
knowledge what I thought kdrive is capable of. I neither designed or wrote
said X server.

However as Keith, the author, answered in the meantime, that it appears
to be possible to "hack" classic 2D acceleration into a kdrive driver.

Btw. Just that Kdrive was designed for todays desktop and embedded
graphic load does not mean you can not use an classic XAA server.
All this source is there, noone forces you to update to a Kdrive server ...

Yours,

  +49 (0)30 / 255 897 45