xf86-video-intel, modesetting branch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 4 11:31:15 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 12:01 +0000, will wrote:

> > We can't really change the configuration file syntax; what I'd like to
> > do is figure out how to usefully use that monitor section for one of the
> > outputs. We might just want some kind of static definition of which
> > output that should be; I think that's probably best.
> >

> Is the reason you can't change the configuration file syntax due to backward
> compatibility?

Mostly, in this release I don't want to change the parser as I want new
drivers to work with older servers. That means the ability to introduce
new semantics is effectively limited to what we can do through options;
you can see I kludged the per-output monitor specification by using
magic device option names (like "monitor-VGA"). Eventually, we may want
to introduce new syntax, but with our goal of eliminating the
configuration file, we may just live with how it works.

> In which case could you not create a new optional section DeviceOutput which
> could hold the monitor and default modes. The standard configuration would
> continue to work but you could override it by telling a screen which output
> device(s) to connect to, and as each output device would know which monitor
> it was to use this could with the appropriate options allow a more precise
> level of control.

I think everything you've suggested is supported by the current scheme,
with the exception of being able to list the subset of modes that should
be displayed for each output. Given that most outputs are now fixed
resolution, it seems like a rather significant change for a very small
subset of users.

keith.packard at intel.com