Intel graphics driver -- thanks!

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Feb 13 10:22:44 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 11:46 -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> The reason I ask is that I would like to ditch my current AMD/Nvidia
> combo for an Intel board with integrated graphics and DVI --on board or
> via ADD2. Most importantly, I would like to have a desktop machine that
> can S3 reliably without video or data corruption.

We rely on the BIOS to get the card back to text mode on resume; that
can be invoked from the kernel, or from user space (with vbetool). Other
than that, S3 shouldn't be an issue with any Intel graphics setup.

> Besides normal testing of S3 suspend, do you use personally S3 suspend
> on a regular basis? If so, can you comment on your experiences?

I use it on notebook machines extensively; my 915GMS has seen uptimes on
the order of months while being suspended/resumed almost every day. Most
of the credit here goes to the kernel folks who have been working out
the hard problems for several years. The graphics piece is simple, by
comparison, as it only requires that we be able to reinitialize the card
from power-on state.

keith.packard at intel.com