java and xcb

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Sun Feb 18 00:33:14 PST 2007

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> On Thursday 15 of February 2007, Barton C Massey wrote:
>> IIRC we've seen this before, but I don't remember what the
>> resolution was.
>
> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SOURCES/libxcb-no-assert-on-lock.patch?rev=1.1
>
> from ArkLinux afaik.

Please, please, please don't do this.  Please tell the people from ArkLinux
*not* to do this.

Look at this patch the same way you might look at a patch that stopped marking
the lowest page of memory as inaccessible, in order to stop seeing segfaults on
NULL pointer dereferences.

To the best of our knowledge, *any* appearance of this assertion represents a bug in the
calling program or an extension library it uses.

For any appearance of this assertion, please provide a gdb backtrace so we can track it
down.  Even if using binary-only code, a backtrace might still tell us if a bug exists in
an extension library.

- Josh Triplett