XvMC on savage

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 18 16:11:37 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:13:07AM -0700, John Gruenenfelder wrote:

>The MTRR stuff could be a dead end.  I only mention it beacause of the kernel
>warning about MTRRs and the fact that on my system, and probably your's, the X
>subsystem is the only thing besides the kernel which touches the MTRRs.
>
>Hmmm... just now, looking at my X log more closely, I can see that my
>machine's display memory is also at 0xe0000000.  This makes sense seeing as
>how we have the same machine.  But also troubling since I have no MTRR set for
>that range.  Well... this could be the problem, no?  It looks as though all
>those 0xd0000000 MTRR settings are for the DRM and 3D memory.
>
>Of course, you have MTRRs for that range (though possibly incomplete) and you
>have the same problems as I do.  Still, I'll see that and see what happens.
>Unfortunately, I won't be home until next week.

Just an update here:

I'm back home and I tried manually adding 0xe0000000 - 0xe200000 to the MTRR
table.  That ended very badly.  X started misbehaving right away.  I was able
to log in fine from another machine and it seemed okay.  But when I tried to
restart X the whole machine crashed.  So... perhaps that wasn't the correct
solution.

Also, I have purchased a $30 NVidia AGP card for the Mythbox.  Provided I
don't have any troubles with its TV-out, I'll be using it instead of the
onboard Savage chipset from now on.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.