Per-pointer acceleration/treshold

Nicolas Trangez eikke at eikke.com
Wed Jul 11 12:23:31 PDT 2007

Hija,

Currently I know of one function in X11 to set pointer
acceleration/treshold: XChangePointerControl. While checking the libX11
and xserver sources it looks like this one request just changes the
accel/treshold values on all known mouse devices.

It might be pretty usefull to be able to do this on a per-device base
too, though (I think). Maybe it's just me, but I like to have a
"sensitive" touchpad, so I configured my gnome-settings-daemon, which
uses XChangePointerControl, to use the highest possible acceleration.
When attaching an USB mouse, the acceleration is too much though. So it
would be pretty neat if I could be able to adjust it per-device.

Question is: would a patch to add such a request (or change the existing
one, if that's allowed?) have any chance to be accepted? It'd be my
first "core" xserver hacking, but there should always be a first
time :-)

Thanks,

Nicolas