issues with intel driver and xrandr

Matthew O'Gorman mogorman at astjab.org
Fri Jul 13 13:34:13 PDT 2007

Hi

I am trying to use xrandr 1.2 and the latests intel driver from git
repo as of yesterday and xorg 7.2, I am trying to dynamically add a
monitor to my xsession.  This tends to work fine if I started my xorg
with a monitor attached to my laptop however if I start with out one I
get the following error message.

mog at metalman:~$  xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS
xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA
mog at metalman:~$

Switching to the any tty console i am able to hit fn + f7 to cycle
through monitor options.

I have a thinkpad X30 with an intel i810 chipset.

Also as of late I notice if I trigger a dpms event it crashes my
laptop, however the laptops hardware way of blanking the screen does
not seem to cause this problem

any advice or help would be appreciated.

Mog