X Developers' Summit -- 10th-12th September, Cambridge, UK

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Jul 16 06:08:04 PDT 2007

On Jul 12, 07 19:41:36 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> First of all, a huge apology on the short notice.  We were hoping to get
> six months' notice, but the booking was a bit of a nightmare, so instead
> we get two months'.
>
> Anyhow.  The X Developers' Summit will be on the 10th-12th September,
> and you're all invited.  Currently we are planning for 40 people, but
> can accommodate more than that _if we know immediately_.  We expect
> slots to fill up pretty quickly, so please do let us know soon. :)

Unfortunately, this clashes with SUSE's Labs conference, so no SUSE
developer will be able to join :-(

I find it a bit disturbing, that things like a developer conference are
discussed and planned behind closed curtains. Though I very much
appreciate that you are working on that, we should think about the form
how planning is done.

Yes, there has been a short notice on irc (I would never call that an
announcement, though) that something like that is planned. But I think
it is much better for the community if something like that is announced
early (even if the date isn't fixed, or the event might fail to deliver)
- and on the mailing list.

irc is not searchable (except for your own logs), if you're not logged
in you miss things, and even if you *are* logged in, you easily miss
important information, due to the non-threaded nature and the big amount
of noise there.

I'm not complaining here (haven't done any X.org conference planning
except for the small Birds of a Feather on last year's SigGraph lately),
but I think an open source project should plan its major conferences in
the open as well. Especially if sponsoring is involved.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de