Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:18:26 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Richard Bronosky <BrunosJunk at bronosky.com> wrote:
> I'm not trying to flame bait here.  I'm just expressing my frustration
> with trying top get both of these conditions met: a) ability to use an
> external display on my all Intel Thinkpad.  b) ability to play some
> form of video at any size.
>
> It's so frustrating that I am engineer and I can't understand the
> relationship between kernel modules, drivers, xorg, xrandr, desktop
> environment, and the window manager.  It seems that in order to use
> Linux effectively on a desktop, this is perquisite knowledge.  I don't
> mind learning it, but i can't find a concise source for this
> information.
>
> I just wonder if the public at large will ever be able to use Linux.
>
> So, in order to do what I want with my computer I need to use the
> bleeding edge stuff.  That's fine, but I can't experience any down
> time.  So, I can't blindly install crap, or follow a hodge podge of
> howtos.  I need to know how to get xorg, xrandr, and the Intel drivers
> working and how to rollback if there are problems.
>
> Where can I find this info?
>
> --
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

Many features have added lately especialy when it comes to better
support of hot plug monitor and things like that. On all the point you
are looking for intel driver have mostly pioneered the way to do
things.

So yes actually you need bleeding edge git to take the best of
your hardware from a graphic point of view but i am sure that
before the end of this years most biggest linux distro will have
this stuff in fact i believe that fedora 7 (never be a fedora user
and follow it from a distant point of view) already has bleeding
edge xorg software and intel driver to take advantage of lastest
features.

best,
Jerome Glisse