Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:00:54 PDT 2007

Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Only somewhat complete'? That could be said of *any* piece
> of software.

This isn't just *any* piece of software; this is the Intel code that
drives our laptop displays.  Intel takes cash in exchange for their
hardware, so it is OK to expect full functionality.  Just because you
can subscribe to a mailing list and watch bugs get patched and features
added doesn't mean you should have to.

.... shitty drivers... ATI...joke...

I never accused any drivers, Intel or ATI, of being shitty or a joke.
If in fact ATI's drivers perform poorly, then ATI has failed to provide
their customers with a good product.  Those customers should should give
Intel a try; at least they are not hiding from their customers.

> whereas you're coming from the point of view where *everything* must be 100% complete,
> optimised, perfect, etc, otherwise ... it's just not good enough.

Yes, I expect this from every product I purchase: 100% functional and
complete.  My TV didn't come with a soldering iron and my car didn't
come with a set of tools.  I guess you could argue that I'm using this
laptop in a way that was never intended (Linux), but its 2007 and Linux
is not a hobby anymore.

> Also keep in mind that X isn't a stationary target for driver
> developers, and changes in X's architecture and feature set mean than
> drivers have to be rewritten to work, or to take advantage of new
> features, etc. So you're never going to get a 'complete' driver.

Also keep in mind that Windows isn't a stationary target for driver
developers, and changes in Window's architecture and feature set mean
that drivers have to be rewritten to work, or to take advantage of new
features, etc. So you're never going to get a 'complete' Windows driver
either.

Intel's Windows drivers appear flawless, complete, and ship on time;
because Windows users demand it.  So they get it.  Yet Linux users who
ask for the same quality are labeled unreasonable, disrespectful, or
technically challenged; not by the Intel developers, but by fellow Linux
users.  I guess I just don't "get it".

I'm done.

Chris