Intel TV-OUT on Fedora 7 test4

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jun 11 08:20:15 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 21:46 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:

> The new Xrandr does detect the different modes (PAL, etc.) but the only
> refresh rate I can choose is still 30Hz.

The 'refresh rate' value for TV output is not actually used; the TV
format value controls the precise signalling. If you select a different
TV_FORMAT, you should see the modes reported with different refresh
rates. NTSC-M is 29.97Hz (perhaps xrandr should print another digit).

> Is there a way to solve the problem (forcing the refresh rate to 60-50Hz
> maybe?)?

The likely cause is a color burst that is slightly off frequency; you
might try playing with the dda values in the tv_modes structure to see
if you can't get it to lock on your TV set. TV sets are extremely
sensitive to inaccurate color burst frequencies and do bad things when
it is off by even the smallest amount.

What I need is to find a "real" TV testing box so I can validate the
output signals.

keith.packard at intel.com