Intel TV-OUT on Fedora 7 test4

Alberto Milone albertomilone at alice.it
Wed Jun 13 05:52:53 PDT 2007

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 21:46 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:
>

>> The new Xrandr does detect the different modes (PAL, etc.) but the only
>> refresh rate I can choose is still 30Hz.
>>

> The 'refresh rate' value for TV output is not actually used; the TV
> format value controls the precise signalling. If you select a different
> TV_FORMAT, you should see the modes reported with different refresh
> rates. NTSC-M is 29.97Hz (perhaps xrandr should print another digit).
>

>> Is there a way to solve the problem (forcing the refresh rate to 60-50Hz
>> maybe?)?
>>

> The likely cause is a color burst that is slightly off frequency; you
> might try playing with the dda values in the tv_modes structure to see
> if you can't get it to lock on your TV set. TV sets are extremely
> sensitive to inaccurate color burst frequencies and do bad things when
> it is off by even the smallest amount.
>
> What I need is to find a "real" TV testing box so I can validate the
> output signals.

Setting the TV_FORMAT to PAL, PAL-M, etc. didn't solve the problem, I'm
still getting low refresh rates and no colours. And of course, if I try
using a HD-TV TV_FORMAT my TV (which is not a HDTV) doesn't work.

I understand that you need a "better" TV testing box therefore, if I can
help you by sending you the output of Xrandr or of some other app, I'll
be glad to help. I have the same problem on my 3 TVs (Sony, Panasonic,
Bluesky). If there is nothing I can do to help you, just ignore what I
have just written.

I would like to ask you another thing which I need to know for the GUI
for XRandR (URandR) which I'm developing. Does XRandR detect a TV as
such also if it is a HDTV and it's not connected through a S-VIDEO
cable? Or would the HDTV be detected as a VGA/DVI display?

P.S. the Bazaar branch for URandR is here:
https://launchpad.net/urandr
https://code.launchpad.net/~albertomilone/urandr/ubuntu