i810 and ADD2 TV out configuration

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed May 23 19:00:59 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of building my own MythTV-driven HTPC.

I am documenting the project here:
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

I have elected to go all the way Intel for a few reasons:

   1. I had a free CPU (hard to discount this reason!)
   2. Intel is very well supported, both by Intel and the community
   3. the SVDO/ADD2 system exists, an elegant way of extending the
      output capabilities of the on-board video

I have a Core 2 Duo CPU on an Intel DG965WH motherboard, G965 chipset
with the GMA X3000 video.
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DG965WH/index.htm

I have added a PixelView ADD2II card for PCI Express w/HMDI, HDTV,
S-video & RCA output, using a Chrontel CH7215 Chipset.
http://prolink-usa.com/item_disp.php?upc=2006886907073

The system is installed with Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn", 64-bit install.

    * Kernel 2.6.20 (Ubuntu's 2.6.20-15-generic build)
    * X Window System Version 7.2.0
    * i810 v1.7.4

The goal is to have the machine only connected to a TV, in 3 steps

    * using standard definition analog, using the S-Video out
    * using the components out for HDTV using my Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor
    * when I am rich enough for an HDTV panel, using the HDMI out

By HDTV, I mean 1080p (1920x1080), or as close as I can get.

My last couple of days of Googling were not that successful in finding
xorg.conf configs that are close to what I want, or at least orienting
me towards the right direction. I am far from being a complete newbie, I
have a history of coming up with less tan trivial configs, I am
experienced and not afraid of compiling, but I have to admit that I am
also trying the "lazy web" approach...

So, here are my questions:

   1. Am I clear enough?
   2. do you need more information (dumps, captures, files, etc...)?
   3. does the chrontel chip need a kernel module?
   4. can my setup do HDTV using components video?
   5. can my setup do HDTV using HDMI?
   6. do I need the 2.0/modsetting "intel" driver?
   7. Could you help me build my xorg.conf files for my 3 steps?
   8. Is this email too long? ;o)

I'll accept flames, brutal pointing out of a FAQ I failed to find, and
any generous help.

Thanks in advance.

Nico