Xorg Input Hotplugging

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Thu Nov 15 02:31:21 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:27:02AM +0100, ext Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 11:43 +0200, Daniel Stone a écrit :
> > If they're not getting added, then your hotplug setup is broken.
>
> I noticed yes :(. If I keep the old in-xorg input setup no input works.
> If I remove everything stuff works in semi-broken mode. If I add
> AllowEmptyInput nothing works again.

Sounds like evdev is broken, then.  Check your log file.

> > I don't have a good answer here: evdev should detect and work
> > automatically.
>
> Is it normal than evdev results in a button setup with holes in the
> middle now?

I don't know.  evdev is an arcane mystery to me: I think only Zephaniah
fully understands it.

> > Sounds like your desktop environment (e.g. GNOME) is kicking the layout
> > back to pc105 instead of evdev.  You'll need to fix that in its
> > preferences.
>
> It seems the xorg changed caused GNOME to reset to pc105. However if I
> change it to evdev keys break all over the place. So I suppose the new
> xorg switched from evdev to kbd :(

What's happening is this: your hotplug _isn't working_, as I've pointed
out above.  So when you don't put in Option "AllowEmptyInput", you get
the kbd driver as a default safe fallback.

> > <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="1118">
> >   <match key="usb.product_id" int="219">
> >     <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">fr,ru</merge>
> >     <merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">grp:lwin_toggle,grl_led:scroll,compose:rwin</merge>
> >   </match>
> > </match>
> >
> > I'm not sure how to match on the phys.
>
> Phys is needed as you have two different devices on each phys. Phys 0 is
> a real pc105 keyboard where xkb layout rules apply. Phys 1 is a set of
> multimedia key.

Yes.  As I said, I'm not aware of how to match on it within HAL.

> > These don't yet have equivalents, but both shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Pointer seems all right except for the strange 1234589 button
> assignment.
>
> Maybe it'll be clearer if I post all my files. What am I doing obviously
> wrong input-side?

I guess I'd really just need your logfile from when you tried with
Option "AllowEmptyInput", to try to see what's wrong with evdev.

Cheers,
Daniel