Xorg Input Hotplugging

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:10:14 PDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at nokia.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:50:23AM -0700, ext David Sharp wrote:
> > It was matching
> > "info.capapilities" to "input.keys" instead of "input.keyboard". Not
> > sure if that is a mistake in the default x11-input.fdi, or my likely
> > ancient version of hal.
>
> Yeah, input.keys is only supported in 0.5.10 and later.

grmbl.. i'm not sure how i'm going to deal with this. this old hal
also barfs on my Microsoft Natural keyboard (hal-probe-input crashes),
but i would guess newer versions don't. I'm not sure a manual upgrade
is in the cards, though, since that would pull in a ton of
dependencies. I think I'll just have to put this one in my xorg.conf
after creating some udev rules.

> > One final issue I'm seeing, but I think this is a problem specific to
> > MPX: once a keyboard is brought in to the server, I cant use
> > ctrl+alt+FN to switch to another VT. I also can't use
> > ctrl+alt+backspace to quit the server (and mpwm has no way to exit,
> > afaict).
>
> At a guess, your XKB keymap compilation is failing?

i didn't compile any keymaps (was hoping the ones already on the
system in /usr would be sufficient), so that could be it :D. I'll add
xkeyboard-config to my build script and see how that goes.