Glucose status/instructions request, (and notes on stale branches)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:13:14 PDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > In general, if branches are still useful for something, by all means
> > let's leave them around, (preferably with descriptive names[1]). But
> > if branches are obsolete, can people please remove them? For example,
> > xserver has 67 branches and xf86-video-intel has 57 branches. Surely
> > these aren't all active[2].
> >
> > Perhaps some of the problem is people not knowing how to delete a
> > branch from the remote repository. Here's the recipe to delete
> > 'obsolete-branch-name' from a remote repository named 'origin':
> >
> >         git push origin :obsolete-branch-name
>
> Definitely.  I'm all for this, and I've pushed (or at least suggested)
> for pruning some of all those branches.  One nit, though:
>
> [krh at gaara xserver]$ git push origin :redhat-xdc2006
> error: remote does not support deleting refs
> error: failed to push to 'ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver.git'
>
> since
>
> krh at kemper:~$ git --version
> git version 1.4.4.4
>
> We might want to update the git version on kemper... in the mean time,
> anyone who wants a branch deleted can ping me or any fd.o admin to
> delete the branch by saying
>
> rm /git/xorg/xserver.git/refs/heads/obsolete-branch-name
>
> In general, I think it makes more sense to keep topic/feature branches
> in an unofficial/personal repo and just merge it into to official repo
> once the feature is ready.  This leaves the official repo nice and
> clean and lets people rewind/throwaway branches easier in their own
> repo.

It would be nice if git supported an obsoleted branches store, so the
branches wouldn't propogate but could be looked at later if
required....

Does working in personal repos allow for shared work? (not that with
git you really require it..) I would think playing with the group
perms would be okay..

Definitely working in personal repos is the way to go until you are
ready to merge, the number of branches in my personal repos that were
dead ends and blind alleys but I'm glad I've got them documented for
later viewings but wouldn't want to clutter up the main repos..

Dave.