TWM: truetype support

Igor Mozolevsky igor at
Wed Sep 12 08:57:08 PDT 2007

On 12/09/2007, Jens Stroebel <dr-xorg at> wrote:

This is probably a nice idea; however, could you please, please make
> this optional (keep the ability to build twm w.o. freetype font support
> alive)?

Shouldn't be too difficult: wrap code in #define TWM_USE_XFT + autoconf

TWM is not a WM which gets used by a broad userbase and I don't think
> that will change, whatever the look of the fonts is like. It's very
> simplistic and not exactly suited for todays world of
> WM-has-to-integrate-with-desktop;

Which is exactly why some of us prefer to use it - it's simple and just
works - no eye candy that needlessly eats up cpu cycles, or starts doing
obscure things, or does anything more than it needs to!

> correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
> think these wmhints thingies are all present there...?

Maybe they could/would be added in a future revision?..

Anyhow, I think it's great and am now thinking of switching from ctwm back
to twm; great work - keep it up! :-)