TWM: truetype support

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Sep 13 03:27:25 PDT 2007

Igor Mozolevsky wrote:
> On 12/09/2007, Jens Stroebel <dr-xorg at bcsoft.de> wrote:
>
> This is probably a nice idea; however, could you please, please make
>> this optional (keep the ability to build twm w.o. freetype font support
>> alive)?
>

> Shouldn't be too difficult: wrap code in #define TWM_USE_XFT + autoconf
> macro?
>
> TWM is not a WM which gets used by a broad userbase and I don't think
>> that will change, whatever the look of the fonts is like. It's very
>> simplistic and not exactly suited for todays world of
>> WM-has-to-integrate-with-desktop;
>

> Which is exactly why some of us prefer to use it - it's simple and just
> works - no eye candy that needlessly eats up cpu cycles, or starts doing
> obscure things, or does anything more than it needs to!
>

>> correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
>> think these wmhints thingies are all present there...?
>

> Maybe they could/would be added in a future revision?..
>
> Anyhow, I think it's great and am now thinking of switching from
> ctwm back to twm; great work - keep it up! :-)

Thanks for encouraging to proceed!  :-)

So as next for better management I'll split the patchset thematically:
(1) current text rendering interface modifications wrt.
MyFont_ChangeGC() and MyFont_DrawString() etc, this should not lead to
any substantial changes in current code and not to any user-visible
changes in visual appearance;
(2) introducing data elements and function calls needed by xft font
rendering (as suggested, let be these enhancements guarded with #ifdef's);
(3) handful of minor, code-wise non-issue enhancements, leading to
significant improvement in visual appearance. (These are independent of
xft as well.)

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask