DPI monitor issue question ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 13 08:14:11 PDT 2007

Jerone Young wrote:

> Yeap 1440/11.9291inch is  ~120. Thanks. I've been trying to under
> stand this. Though it seems odd because it makes everything so big .
> While DPI of 96 seems to make things normal (also allowing for much
> more screen realestate). Maybe I'm just used to the fonts looking this
> way.

That's quite likely; 120 DPI is rather higher than normal.

Windows gives you a choice of 96 or 120 DPI, with 96 DPI being the
default (some software won't display correctly if you don't use 96
DPI, due to sizing controls in pixels but the fonts within the
controls in points).

Historically, X used 75 DPI until it started trying to compute the
actual resolution based upon the monitor. Bitmap fonts were available
in 75 or 100 DPI.

Using 120 DPI will probably make a font at a given point size appear
significantly larger than you are used to.

Personally, I just stick to bitmap fonts sized in pixels, e.g.:

	*font:	-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

and set the monitor's DisplaySize option such that xdpyinfo reports
75x75 DPI.