Multi-seat, again

aivils at latnet.lv aivils at latnet.lv
Wed Apr 23 00:41:18 PDT 2008

Citēju Dan Farrell <dan at spore.ath.cx>:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:01:29 -0700 (PDT)
> "Yan Seiner" <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
> > Has any progress been made with multi-seat?  I am willing to
> > experiment a bit with getting Xephyr / Xgl / whatever going again.
> >
> > All the links I find are old and outdated....
>
> I had it working about a year ago with 2 seperate X consoles (never got
> Xephyr to work), but it was unstable.  I thought it was dual-seated X's
> fault, but now I think it was the hardware.

Separate X consoles one after another grab PCI resources. 2nd, 3rd ... X
server don not know about another X, which already use specific PCI resources.
Run or run not 2 X consoles is very hardware depended.
However Nvidia binary drivers are stable. One enthusiast of multiseat send
PC hardware to Nvidia developer's headquarters and as result Nvidia binary
drivers became stable since 2004 - 2005, i could not recall. Nowadays Nvidia
driver is stable but have side effect - when X neighbour logout , running
X may show blank, black screen up to 0.5 seconds. Looks like all additional
video adapters doe restart, no matter is that necessary or not necessary from
view point of end user.

Aivils